Thursday, February 23, 2017

Story: The Patil Sisters meet the Pandava Brothers

The Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry isn't your average boarding school. Aside from the fact that the normal math and science curriculum is replaced by the study of potions and fantastic beasts, the school itself is unlike any other.

When the Patil sisters got to Hogwarts they weren't prepared for the spectacle that awaited them. Moving pictures greeted them at every turn and the staircases would change right beneath their feet. They knew one thing going in to Hogwarts: their lives would forever be changed.

Two Years Later 

Padma Patil and Parvati Patil had just gotten back to the House Lakshmana common room when they realized there was no way they were going to finish all of their potions homework in one night. 

"I just don't get why we have to continue to review things we already know. I swear this is the third assignment we've been given on mandrakes (type of plant)," said Padma angrily as she stared at her sister. Although the Patil sisters were twins they could not be more different in character. 

Where Padma was outgoing, Parvati was reserved. Padma was the complainer and Parvati had endless optimism. Their personalities balanced each other out and they were rarely seen without the other. 

Parvati knew her sister better than anyone and because of that she knew that the homework wasn't what was really bothering her. 

"Padma, you are a straight A student, only second to Hermione, so I know the homework isn't whats bothering you. Can you tell me whats wrong?" Parvati could see her sister slump in defeat. 

"Don't you ever miss it? Home, I mean. We are so far away and we only see mom and dad twice a year. I just feel like a visitor in Hogwarts, like it will never feel like my home." Parvati didn't know how to respond. She too, had been feeling homesick and longed for her mothers stories and her fathers jokes. The letters they received weekly weren't a substitute for actually getting to hear from their parents.

Parvati continued to stare at her sister until she remembered something Professor Mcgonagall had said. 

"Padma, I know we can't go home until Summer, but what if I told you that we could be surrounded by a little piece of home right here, at Hogwarts." She saw her sisters reluctant curiosity. 

"Follow me. You won't regret it." As they left the Lajshmana common room, they got on the moving staircases and attempted to make their way to the second floor. 


The second floor hall, was a place where the ghosts in the Hogwarts castle hung out. There were always students in here talking and joking with the ghosts. Fred and George, two of the Weasley, brothers were always down here planning some prank or another with Peeves the resident prankster ghost. 

"Parvati, why are we down here? Did Ron ask you to see if his brothers were causing trouble?" Parvati, ignored her sisters questions and continued on into the room until she saw the group she was looking for. 

Huddled together were five figures who looked similar to each other. She could see the recognition in her sisters eyes and the awe that followed. 

"Padma, may I introduce you to the Pandava Brothers?" She could see that her sister was at a loss for words. Right before her eyes, were living (well dead) Indian Legends. 

The brothers smiled in acknowledgment an dParvati smiled and send a silent thank you to Professor Mcgonagall for the history lesson. 

TO BE CONTINUED

The endless moving staircases at Hogwarts. Web Source




If you want to find out which house you would be in take the quiz by Buzzfeed and then check out my answer key below. 

Answer Key: 
Gryffindor: If you got Gryffindor, congrats you belong to House Rama

Hufflepuff: If you got Hufflepuff, you are tried and true, you belong to House Bharata

Ravenclaw: If you got Ravenclaw, you are an adventurer, you belong to House Lakshmana

Slytherin: If you got Slytherin, you are mischievous and loyal, you belong to House Shatrughna


Mahabharata by Narayan
The Ramayana by R. K. Narayan

5 comments:

  1. First off, this is the first story of yours that I’ve read, and I already love that it’s Harry Potter inspired! Second, I am super mad you left it at “To be continued,” but I’ll get over it as soon as the second part comes out next week! :) On a different note, I like how you incorporated the Patil sisters. This idea is genius! I kind of wish I thought about it, but I don’t think I could have done it as well as you. This story was very well-written and I was intrigued throughout. I can’t wait to read the continuation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie! I like how your story is a fusion of Harry Potter and the Mahabharata all together. This story is going to be great! I love that the Patil sisters are going to be the main characters and we will get to learn more about them! Also, I love the fact that you include about Fred and George in the story! Overall, great job. I am looking forward to read the continuation of this story. Also, I would totally trade science and math for fantastic beasts and potions anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, I loved this. First just a heads up there is an issue at the end where the word and has a space between a few of the letters. But WOW. I loved that the little I know about Harry Potter was enough to create a vivid story with imagery and familiarity. I loved that you used characters from the movie in a while incorporating your characters. Especially the Pandavas. You go, girl; this was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fact that you use Harry Potter was absolutely amazing! I am a big fan so it was pretty easy for me to follow along. I liked that instead of just the Pandavas brothers being the main focus that you combated it with using Patil sisters. Also you left it at a cliff hanger! This is a really great tool to use. It also helps I think you come up with ideas for what you want to write next. I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story was really cool! I like that you involved Harry Potter with the story that inspired you. It is always interesting to see the results when someone involves their interests in a story. It makes the story a lot more fun to read and I think it makes it easier to write as well when you are inspired by something you like. Great work!

    ReplyDelete