Sunday, April 23, 2017

Reading Notes: The Ramayana Part B

Ramayana by William Buck (1976)

Bharata goes after Rama into the forest. Web Source 
  • It is interesting to me that Kaikeyi was swayed by her servant Manthara, to convince the king to banish Rama and make Bharata king
  • In my storybook, I think it could be interesting to have Sita come back with Rama
    • She was willing to go into exile for him, so I feel like it is only right that she goes into battle with him
  • This story also explains more about how manipulative Kaikeyi was. I feel like in the original story this was a very underrated aspect 
    • She tried to get the king to teach her the secret language of the animals, if he told her the secret it would kill him 
  • I am always amazed by the lengths that Lakshmana is willing to go to for Rama and Sita 
    • Rama and Lakshmana will get the featured speaking role in my story
    • I feel like they have the closest connection and are the most well-known characters
  • Bharata's loyalty to Rama, even after receiving the title of king, is an underrepresented part of the story! 
    • Yes, the story is featured on Rama but this act of brotherly devotion deserves recognition 

No comments:

Post a Comment