Thursday, March 2, 2017

Story Planning: The Enchanted River

  • I am going to use this week to plan out my story for next week, including my story for my storybook. One comment I received on my comment wall is that the students in the class want to see more of the background to my version of the Hogwarts story. To do this I am going to introduce the different characters and how my new Lord Voldemort. 
  • Here are my potential story ideas: 
  • I like the idea of involving the Ganga River in my stories: either manifested as a person or as a river 
    • It would be interesting to have the Ganga River be the river that the Hogwarts students must travel on to get to Hogwarts
    • (AKA the freshmen have to take the boats to get to the castle) 
    • This would potentially involve multiple short stories, because I wouldn't need a whole section about the river. 
    • It would be cool to do a past and present situation where I show the four brothers crossing the river and what they felt and then jump forward and show Harry and the gang crossing the river 
  • My next story idea is one where I introduce Ravana as the new Lord Voldemort (the bad guy, for those of you who haven't read/seen Harry Potter!) 
    • I chose Ravana because of the different things he did in the Ramayana reminded me of the bad things Lord Voldemort did. 
  • My next and last story idea is surrounded with the perceived hierarchy present in both stories. 
    • Some wizards think they are better than muggles 
    • Some Indian families think they are better than others
    • For example, when the monk visits the different women and they each have a different afflicted child. The only one to have a normal child is the servant, who would have been seen as less in the story.  
    • All of this mixed with the wizards over muggle theme goes back to the idea of Birthright and what you are born with over what you make of yourself. 
Mahabharata by Narayan
The Ramayana by R. K. Narayan
The boats crossing the river to Hogwarts. Web Source

4 comments:

  1. Hi Katie! I think intertwining Ramayana with the story Harry Potter is so great! I think Ravana would definitely be a good Voldemort! Does this mean you are going to have Rama play Harry? I really like that you have a story idea focused on the perception that some people have about being “better” than others because of their blood line. If you didn’t want to just do one story over that I think it would be a good theme that would easily carry through all the stories too. It looks like you are going in the right direction. I am excited to read your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie! I just come back to get some sneak peak about your upcoming story in this Harry Potter alternate universe. After reading your planning, I am really looking forward to your story! And for some reason when I see that you gonna have Ravana being the "new Lord Voldemort" I was like "Aha!" Ravana with his multiple heads and arms, I see how that goes :) I also like the fact that the river Ganga gonna be in the story! I wonder if the Goddess herself gonna surprise the freshman? Overall, I am anticipating for your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie, I enjoyed looking at your story planning for the next week. I enjoyed the Harry Potter series so I am excited to see where you take this Hogwart’s theme of a story. I think your changes to the setting and characters would be an excellent fit for the actual roles of those in the Harry Potter series. I will be back to read this story after it is done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Katie! I read your storybook last week and I think these additions would be great. The river is an interested topic and would be a nice short story but may be hard to stretch into a full blown story. You are spot on with the Lord Voldemort and Ravana comparison, both characters are very shady. Super excited to see how this story turns out, great job!

    ReplyDelete