Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Reading Notes: Part A, Epic of the Bharatas


  • The sons of Pandu (Pandavas) and the sons of Pandu's brother Dhritarashtra (Kauravas)
  • Arjuna is a great archer, I think his ghost should have a big role in the defeat of my Lord Ravana character in my storybook. 
  • Its cool that they ride elephants (tuskers) into the contest, this is definitely something I want to incorporate into my story
  • Karna: is the oldest son of Kunti (she had him with the sun god) and is a brother to the pandava brothers 
    • Surya the sun-god favors Karna (his son), while Indra the rain-god favors Arjuna (his son).
    • Karna and Arjuna want to kill each other because they are jealous 
  • This story, especially the scenes between Karna and the Pandavas puts an emphasis on birthright
    • Even though the pandavas and Karna share the same mother (neither know it) There is a big deal placed on the fact that Karna's adoptive father is a chariot driver
    • Duryodhana, son of Dhritarashtra (blind king), grants Karna a title just with the hopes that he can defeat the Pandavas. 
    • I want to bring this emphasis of birthright into my story, especially with the original emphasis placed on muggle vs. pure blood in Harry Potter
  • I have to admit that this story does not paint the Pandavas in the best light, or Draupadi who laughs at Karna for being the son of a chariot driver

Arjuna and His Charioteer Krishna Confront Karna. Web Source



Mahabharata, Epic of the Bharatas by Romesh C. Dutt

No comments:

Post a Comment