Sunday, January 22, 2017

Growth Mindset: Learning From Last Year

After taking this class last year, there were a lot of areas where I needed to have a better grasp on the growth mindset concept. In any class it is easy to feel defeated when you get a negative comment, a bad grade or a bad critique. In this class we are often asked to get critiqued and to critique other students. Some of those comments you receive will be glowing and others will have helpful points. Regardless of the type of comment you receive it is important to understand that the comments are there to make you better, not tear you apart. I think that one of the biggest aspects of growth mindset is accepting growth. It is easy to feel married to an idea or a piece of writing, but it is crucial for  growth to expand the idea and redo the writing.

For this semester I am going to keep in mind the concept "not yet." This was a concept that resonated with me from the growth mindset videos. As I am nearing the end of my undergraduate career I will no doubt be met with "no's" along the way. It is important when trying new things and applying for jobs to take every no as a not yet. If you are told no, it is not because you have failed, you just haven't been told yes yet. I think this is so important for students to remember! Everything is a process and takes time!

This is a great reminder that if at first you don't succeed, try again. Web Source

No comments:

Post a Comment