Thursday, January 19, 2017

Reading Options

For my first reading option I have chosen to read Narayan's Ramayana by R. K. Narayan (1906-2001). I choose this version because I liked that it read more like a novel. To me, narrative stories are easier to connect with and they also help me to think more creatively about the topic. For my other class reading I am really interested in looking into the different graphic novels that Bizell has. I am also interested in reading about the five Pandava brothers. One of the book series I have read in the past, Tigers Curse, refers to a lot of stories from different Indian Epics. I really enjoyed this series, so I am looking forward to reading the different stories that inspired this book!! In the book they refer to the goddess Durga a lot, I am really interested in learning more about who she is and how she fits into the Epics.

I choose this photo because I am really interested in learning about Durga and the other gods and goddesses.  Durga with the buffalo-demon, Mahishasura.

Outside of taking Myth and Folklore last semester I have taken two other courses devoted to literature. I have taken Arthurian Literature and World of Dante during my time here at OU. I really enjoyed both classes because the stories in the classes had both adventure and mystery aspects. These are themes I enjoy in both my readings and in my show preferences. I like the show Game of Thrones because of the intricate relationships the characters have. Even though the show is presented as different stories, I like that each story relates to the other.


No comments:

Post a Comment